If you’ve ever wondered if the flame resistance can be washed out of your arc-rated and flame resistant (AR / FR) clothing, you’re in good company – this is one of the top 3 questions we receive!
The short answer? Everything Tyndale sells – whether made or distributed by us – is guaranteed to maintain its flame resistance for the full service life of the garment. But what do we mean by “full service life”? Scott Margolin, Vice President of Technical, breaks it down:
As Scott explains, all garments we sell are made with protective fabrics that are permanently arc- and flame resistant – and that’s backed by our warranty.
Accordingly, the durability of flame resistance for garments purchased from Tyndale is not tied to a certain number of launderings; rather, the lifespan of your AR / FR garments from Tyndale are tied to the wear pattern and overall condition of the garment through time.
To ensure your garments perform and protect as expected, remember these 3 key things:
- Don’t use chlorine bleach
- In some instances, chlorine bleach can break down the durable chemical bond between the flame retardant and the base fabric.
- Don’t wear AR / FR soiled with flammable contaminants.
- Retire and replace AR / FR that is worn out – for both your safety and to project a professional image in the field.
- Look for thin or “thread-bare” areas, unrepaired holes, excessive wear or abrasion—particularly on stress points like elbow or knee areas. Garments with damage like rips, cuts, tears, broken closures, or torn, open, or frayed seams should also be retired.
- If damage is minor, stop wearing the garment until it is repaired. Repairs should be made using AR / FR fabrics and components that are comparable to those used in the garment’s original manufacturing. Many suppliers like Tyndale offer both repairs and complimentary AR / FR garment repair kits to help maintain garments. Click here to brush up on your ABC’s of garment repair. Garments that are properly repaired can be safely worn again.
- Check out this handy, visual reference guide – which can be downloaded for easy sharing – to know when and how to retire AR / FR.
While some providers in the market sell garments with limited life spans on their flame resistance – creating risk or potential gaps in your protection, Tyndale is proud to provide products with permanent flame resistance that are vetted for quality and performance and backed by a complete warranty. That’s why it’s so important to partner with a trusted service provider.
Have a question? Need assistance with replacing worn out AR / FR clothing? Looking for a next-generation solution? We’re here to help – contact us today.